Before Ben's birthday, I decided we needed to be tourists in our own "town". I've always heard of people coming to visit our state and having a jolly time, and since it's been a year since we moved here, we should have done this a while ago. I remember going to Wheeler Farm on field trips when I was in grade school, and remembering how I enjoyed it then and knowing how both my boys like to be "farmers" I thought it'd be a good experience for them. the first animals we saw were the horses,

Ben was afraid to feed them for fear of them eating his whole hand so i have quite a few pictures of him dropping his hand quite quickly or running away as you can see in this photo.

After the horses and donkeys, we went to see the sheep and goats,


and BOY was it spring in their pasture!
this is the closest I got to a photo of Ben feeding a goat or really of any animal.


see how fast he dropped the grass! it's still in mid-air!
after the sheep and goats we walked

to the rest of the farm since those animals were the welcoming committee, and I caught Ben "ape-ing" his big brother.
First we came upon the ducks and geese in the picnic area, Ben was running up to them and started making the geese hiss, so I told him that they'd bite him if he wasn't careful, so here's him crouching from a "safe distance" looking at the birds

after this shot he slowly and carefully crept up on the ducks to see them really well. After walking around the duck pond, which Ben never wanted to leave, we had a quick lunch and played in the playhouse


then went to see the other animals close by.

here's Joe shushing me so I don't wake the rabbit.

then we found some fairly new calves,
chicks and ducks,

pigs,

turkeys.
Most of the time hanging out by the turkey he was silent as can be, so I asked Joe if he could gobble to make the turkey say something. See if it worked?!
After all the animals we went on a wagon ride and then played on the tractors.


since it was close to milking time we stayed and milked a cow!

That's right I said WE! and even though there's no photo of me, just remember that i did it too!

After our cow was "drained" the farm hand took Joe, Ben and I to feed two 4 month calves the 2 gallons that we'd milked. Wanna know how long it took them to drink those 2 gallons? LESS than 30 seconds! and I thought we liked milk! After that it was time to go home and get the stink off. And that was our little tourist trip! I hope there are more like this to come!
3 comments:
I remember going to wheeler farm on a field trip in grade school too! I was actually thinking about it the other day wondering if it was still there. I remember the play house too!! Your boys are getting so big. They are still so cute!!
aaaw what fun!!! your boys look like they enjoyed themselves!! and way to milk a cow tina!!
Man, Joey cracks us up. I love the "'cuz he's got on his costume" line. Classic!
Post a Comment